Thurso Castle (meeting current owners) & John o' Groats - 20 May

We have one more thing to do before we leave Thurso - visit the ruins of Thurso Castle. But just before we head off, this is the view we've had from the front gate whilst in Thurso - check out that blue sky again!!

We believe one of my ancestors on Mum's side worked at Thurso Castle as a farmer - perhaps tending the fields. As we draw nearer to the castle, I notice a multitude of 'Private Property' signs. Luckily a lady appears from behind a stone fence, so I jump out of the car and ask her if I could speak with any one about the castle ruins.

She was very helpful and told me to go through the stone archway, turn left, walk through the next stone fence and knock on the door of the house on the right, Maryanne should answer. So off I trotted, passing some very old buildings and ending up at the house with their door open and a pair of discarded work boots just inside. I knocked but got no answer. I then used the two prong approach, knocked and shouted out in my friendly voice "is anyone home"? When that didn't work I cautiously walked in to their backyard and nearer the castle calling out if any one was home. Alas, still no luck.

I wasn't beaten just yet. On my way to the house, I'd noticed a small boy playing in the front yard, so I back tracked to try and speak to them. I saw his mother in the window and waved, she hand signalled for me to wait and after about 20 seconds her hubby came out. I showed him the old photo of the castle (pre ruin) and explained I thought one of my ancestors may have worked on the land for the owner. I then asked him if he knew if the owner was around. His response was "Yes she is, as she's my Mum. I'll give her a call to see if she can pop over and answer any of your questions".

About a minute later she appeared from the opposite side of her house. This is the upshot of our fascinating 15 min conversation with her and her son:

  • the original castle was fabulous and was so close to the sea you could throw out a line from the dining room and catch a fish
  • the updated version of the castle (the one in my picture) is a monstrosity and the current owners hate it
  • when her husband's Grandfather decided to extend the castle and add floors and rooms his architect informed him it's too heavy and the structure won't hold. He fired the architect and built it anyway
  • almost immediately it began to pull apart and collapse. The current tower was two stories higher than it stands today
  • her hubby John Sinclair is the current 3rd Viscount of Thurso and she is the Viscountess of Thurso - she married into the family, and they own the 'estate' (which includes the ruined castle) 
  • they also have the title of Lord and Lady
  • they live in the house that was originally the servants quarters and it has lots of dead ends as they've blocked off the dangerous passages leading to the decaying castle
  • every year 'something' falls from the castle, but thus far it's always landed in the garden!!
  • yes she does 'float' within the royal circles and attend their events - which she told me are lots of fun 👌
  • the final clan battle in Thurso was between the two biggest - Sinclair & Gunn. Thankfully, they finally realised all the fighting was ridiculous and they needed to all work together!!
  • she apologised that her hubby wasn't around as he could've provided a lot more info for me!!
Her final piece of advice was to contact Nucleus - the Nuclear and Caithness Archives at Wick - as they contain the Sinclair family tree as far back as 1469 and I'm hoping they contain the names of those that tended their land in the 1700's. A job for when I get home.

Lovely to have met her and her son - who were both very gracious in spending time with us.

After that little family history trip, it was time to head to a place called John o' Groats, Scotlands'
most north eastern tip and most distant point on the mainland from Land's End in Cornwall, England, 879 miles to the southwest. It's a popular tourist spot for a photo - so who are we to not take the obligatory shot as well:



We continued on our way (after also taking a couple of photos of other travellers) down the coastal route to Elgin, still a good couple of hours away. The scenery was magical and the wonderful weather played it's part.

Spending the night in the Mansion House hotel with 2 x 4 poster beds and breaky included, so we feel very special. So luxurious. 



Yet another incredible day. Tomorrow is Aberdeen :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Berlin - here we come (8 & 9 Apr)

Epinal to Colmar (13 Apr)

Berlin - day 2 (10 Apr)